The month of May give us a bit of stability to reset our equilibrium. It is uneventful even though we begin the month with 3 retrograde planets. These retrogrades are not so “in your face”, as you would find with Mercury, Venus and Mars; they put us in a contemplative mood.
For the last 7 years, Uranus the planet of change and innovation has been in active, aggressive Aries. We had overhauls to banking and commerce. The way we communicate with each other has changed with the ever increasing use of Facebook, Snapchat and Instagram. There have been dramatic upsets in politics, such as our most recent presidential election and the Brexit vote in the UK. Now we are on the precipice of a new era as Uranus moves into Taurus on May 15th. On this same day the New Moon moves into Taurus as well, making this the most fertile time of the year to initiate new beginnings in the material world.
We are only 9 days into April and another planet, our friend Mercury, joins the retrograde lineup of Jupiter, Venus and Saturn. I think most of us by now are familiar with retrograde motion. We know that the planet is not actually travelling backwards, it’s an optical illusion. But the affect cannot be discounted; the planetary energy does not operate in its normal mode.
April 28 to May 22, 2016
Oh, Mercury retrograde, here you are again arriving on our collective thresholds in all your chaotic glory. During your stay you are going to ask us (whether we like it or not) to re-evaluate, re-tool and re-vamp our lives (whether we like it or not). Then, as quickly as you appear, you disappear again, leaving us reeling, but with better insight into ourselves. The key to surviving this period is really rather simple - go with it. Mercury is giving you a do-over, a take two, a mulligan. Take advantage - don’t squander the opportunity.
While Mercury is backpedaling in earthy Taurus, we'll all have a sobering opportunity to revise our plans about the material side of life. Perhaps your budget needs an overhaul. Or, it's possible that you need to reconsider how you're using your talents in order to earn money. Whatever the details, you have an opportunity to re-calibrate your approach to finances and strengthen your mental self-worth muscles in the process.You may be persuaded to let go of things and possessions you've been holding and hoarding. Perhaps you can recycle by donating your old possessions. Mercury retrograde in Taurus brings stubborn blockages connected with new ideas, powers of concentration and putting ideas into a practical format. Access to the most direct route to your goals is likely to be blocked by breakdowns in communication and unwillingness to compromise. All areas of communication are affected. Methods and motivation for learning, communication and transportation are subject to difficulties under this aspect.
So along with the customary Do’s and Don’ts of backing up your data, not signing any contracts (unless it was started pre-retrograde) and double-checking your appointments, here are 5 tips to help you cope during this time.
- Be sure not to take things too personally. People will often say offensive things they didn’t mean around this time, because their thinking is clouded and their communication skills are on pause.
- Finally finish those lingering tasks. Home improvement projects? Wardrobe re-organization? This is an excellent time to complete those things and file them away forever.
- Allow Mercury to nudge you in unusual directions. Look at what the universe is trying to show you. What can you learn from this situation? This is a fantastic time to re-examine, accept and move on.
- Mercury retrograde encourages us to tie up loose ends. Holding a grudge is like drinking poison and waiting for the other person to die. It’s time to move on, and if you can’t forget, do your best to forgive.
- Mercury retrograde favors rewriting, revising or editing any documents. Why not put that energy to good use and rework your résumé or personal mission statement? You could spice up your blog’s bio page or make some long overdue changes to your business plans.